Nice for the Holidays, but delicious any time
A tasty combination of pears, cranberries and glazed walnuts that results in a festive pie that is easy to put together and yields a little zing.
Cranberry Pear Pie
A good looking and tasty pear pie that is punched up with the addition of cranberries.
- one unbaked double crust 9 inch pie shell Top crust can be a lattice crust
- 5 medium pears
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp finely shredded orange peel optional
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups cranberries
- 2 tbsp butter
Glazed Nut Topping
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 426 degrees.
- Peel, core and slice pears.
- In a mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, orange peel if using, and cinnamon. Add pears and cranberries; toss to coat.
- Fill the pastry lined pie plate with pear mixture. Dot filling with butter. Add top crust. You can also use a lattice crust. Get directions here for lattice crust.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30 minutes or more until filling is bubbling, fruit is softened and bottom of crust is a light brown.
Prepare Glazed Nut Topping
- While pie is baking, make Glazed Nut Topping.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until nuts are lightly browned.
- Stir in brown sugar. Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in milk and set aside.
- When pie has finished baking, spoon Glazed Nut Topping evenly over warm pie. Cool pie on wire rack before serving Serve with whipped cream if desired.