This pie is a true winner
Don’t let the fact that you will make both the filling and the topping from scratch scare you out of making this pie. Sure, you can cut corners and maybe save a little time by using a boxed pudding mix. But then you will miss out on the luscious, creamy filling that this recipe delivers, using three egg yolks. You will get rave reviews with this one, guaranteed.
Dedicated to my father who insisted that I make this pie every time I came home.
Coconut Cream Pie
- one 9 inch pie shell, baked and cooled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- whipped cream
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat till bubbly then cook and stir 2 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir a moderate amount hot mixture into yolks.
- Immediately return to hot mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add butter, vanilla, and flaked coconut.
- Pour into cooled baked pie crust. Cool in refrigerator.
- Just prior to serving, top with whipped cream. Get whipped cream recipe here.