Interesting smash up
Who says you can’t have your cake and pie and eat it too? Admittedly a strange combination but the blueberries bring normalcy to the whole concoction and make it shine. Give it a whirl
Blueberry Cake Pie
Having your cake and pie and eating it too.
- one 9 inch unbaked pie shell
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or if frozen, thawed
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all filling ingredients in a saucepan and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Set aside
- Cream shortening and sugar together.
- Add egg and vanilla, beating until fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternatively with milk.
- Pour blueberry mixture into pie crust.
- Drop cake batter by spoon as evenly as possible over the blueberry mixture.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes but do not overbake.
Serve finished pie warm with whipped cream or ice cream.