Not Your Mother’s Apple Pie
Heritage cookbooks can often yield great surprises and simple but outstanding recopies. This recipe comes from an old Mennonite cookbook and is a great example. Pairing two tart fruits together with just the right amount of sugar make for a delightful and flavorful pie.
Apple Cranberry Pie
- One single crust 9 inch unbaked pie shell
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 5 large baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan.
- Stir in cranberries and maple syrup. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Add apples and continue to cook until apples are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat
- Add walnuts and pour into pie crust. Sprinkle crumbs over top
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce hear to 350 degrees and bake approximately 30 minutes longer or until bottom of crust is light brown.